When money is hoarded and removed from circulation it prevents people from transacting with one another, not because they don't need one another's services, but because they lack the medium of exchange needed to facilitate the transaction, and this is where alternative currencies, including timebanking, come in.
- A Mountain Of Uncertainty In Iraq
- How A Computer Algorithm Predicted West Africa’s Ebola Outbreak Before It Was Announced
- U.S. Financial Markets and the Last Alpha Frontier
- Public Housing in New York Reaches a Fiscal Crisis
- Feeding everyone with a minimum of carbon emissions
- Investing in Nutrient Dense Food: Iron
- A Bacon-Powered Motorcycle Is Cruising Your Way
- BPA-Free Plastic Containers May Be Just as Hazardous
Volunteering is good. But not everyone can work at a soup kitchen, solicit sidewalk donations, or help build a house. But what if, rather than structuring volunteerism around general services, people could donate their unique skills on their own schedule to raise money for nonprofits?
What is NXT?
This is "What is NXT?" by Nxt.org on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.
Matthew Slayter Friday August 1, 2014 Summer Global Exchange Gathering
This video an update from Mathew Slayter about software cooperation and Community Forge
The sharing economy is changing how and what we consume by providing an expanded access to products, services and skills beyond that of singular ownership. Now more than ever it has become clear that we don’t need to own everything, in fact, we don’t need stuff but rather the utility it provides. This has led to the rise in borrowing, renting, trading, bartering and swapping products and services, connecting our needs with what others already have.
The US is clearly now pushing Russia towards war. But if you read the signs correctly, Russia has been preparing for exactly this outcome for many years.
Out of several reasons that US power brokers specifically -- but western power brokers more generally -- are deeply unhappy with Russia right now is that Russia is committing a cardinal sin: it is openly, brazenly calling for an end to dollar dominance and has moved aggressively with China to achieve that aim.
One thing that is absolutely crystal clear at this point is that Putin and Russia consider the US and its dollar hegemony to be a parasitic anachronism that no longer serves anybody besides the US. Putin has made many direct comments to that effect and then followed them up with concrete deals struck in ways that bypass the dollar entirely.
Here's what he said back in 2011, well before any of the recent action started:
Three simple recipes to make you own tooth paste. A great way to ensure good dental hygene and know exactly what is in your toothpaste.
Photo credit: Pueblo Semilla
- Iraq crisis: Islamic militants 'buried alive Yazidi women and children in attack that killed 500'
- World Reserve Currencies: What Happened During Previous Periods of Transition?
- Insight: Plutocracy trumping democracy
- The Tocalino Index
- MIT Made A Material That Makes Fluids Forget About Gravity
- Without Breaking a Sweat, a Doctor Tracks Ebola and Other Epidemics
- Water and air are all you need to make one of world’s most important chemicals
- Mobile Wi-Fi Gizmos Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Batteries
It’s amazing to me how versatile onions are. They are in so many different recipes. I can’t imagine cooking without good onions from the garden. The challenge is to harvest and store them in a way that preserves them for the longest period of time.
Over the past few years, we've tracked the success of Farmland LP, a fund created to increase the economic yield of farmland through sustainable farming practices.
Today's big news is that, while the initial LP fund closed to new investors last year, the same management team has just launched a new fund, this time structured as a real estate investment trust (REIT).
- Kurdish Forces Confront ISIS Fighters as U.S. Airstrikes Continue
- For Refugees on Mountain, ‘No Water, Nothing’
- Obama signals long U.S. military role in Iraq
- What’s the Worst Place to Be When the Power Goes Out?
- Tracing Ebola’s Breakout to an African 2-Year-Old
- American Horror, Ivy League Edition
- China Loosens Monetary Conditions in Test of Credit Power
- Japan Prepares To Release Thousands Of Tons Of Fukushima Groundwater Into The Pacific
- The Spies Next Door
- Jim Rogers: Investing during risky times
- The West on the wrong path
- China’s Economy: Third Stage of Economic Collapse
- The Big One - 2014 Version - Maybe
- Ebola Response Too Slow as Tally of the Dead Nears 1,000
- Cashew Juice, the Apple of Pepsi’s Eye
- Fukushima Watch: Regulator Says Tepco Must Focus on Trench Water
Chapter 8 of the Crash Course is now publicly available and ready for watching below.
As a follow-on to the two previous chapters -- one explaining the nature of fiat money, the other showing how money is loaned into existence through our fractional reserve banking system -- this week's video details the Fed's near-magical ability to create money out of thin air (literally!).
A great list of uses and reasons to have a supply of tea tree essential oil on hand.
This article originally appeared at Equals Change. It is republished with permission in honor of Indigenous People's Day, which is tomorrow Saturday, August 9, 2014. Top image: A forest managed by the Mayangna people in Nicaragua. Photo credit: Alam Ramírez Zelaya / Flickr.